The Morning Jac: Mock MCLA D-II Tourney
I took a quick look at what the MCLA Division I bracket would look like at
this point in Friday's edition of the Morning Jac, so now it's time
to check in with the junior circuit. This early, it's going to be
very difficult to trim the field to 16 teams, but here's what I'm
thinking at this point.
1. St. Thomas (UMLL) – No questions here.
2. Davenport (CCLA) – The Panthers will be happy to avoid
St. Thomas in the semis if this holds.
3. Western Oregon (PNCLL) – Still a long way to go, but
can't argue with the results so far.
4. Dayton (At-large) – Flyers still have the potential to
rise or fall from this spot.
5. Westminster (RMLC) – The Griffins made the semis as a No.
10 seed last year, so this is gravy.
6. St. John's (At-large) – Still a lot to learn about the
7. Utah Valley (At-large) – The Wolverines will be
hard-pressed to match last year's run.
8. Grand Valley State (At-large) – Cam Holding is back, but
Murle Greer is gone. We'll see.
9. Elon (SELC) – Best darn 0-4 team in the country. They
should win a tough SELC.
10. Kennesaw State (At-large) – Couple of key games left,
but the Owls look like a lock right now.
11. Grove City (At-large) – GCC will walk tightrope again,
and need a big win.
12. Briarcliffe (PCLL) – Bulldogs are upwardly mobile if
they pick up a key win.
13. SCAD (At-large) – Emory loss hurts, and brings several
potential teams back into the mix.
14. Concordia/Fullerton (SLC) – Pretty much a toss-up, and
only one is making it.
15. Mo Baptist/Missouri State (GRLC) – Same deal as the SLC.
Only one team will be in this spot.
16. Sam Houston State (LSA) – Emory is the only decent game
on a relatively weak schedule.
Much like its Division I peer, the MCLA-II tournament is looking
awfully similar to last year's, seeding aside. That's pretty
standard when there are some leagues that have barely played a
game. Unlike a lot of the other Top 8 teams, St. John's and Grand
Valley have not tested themselves to this point, so it's difficult
to extrapolate their potential for the remainder of the season.
But sit tight. This is just the first run of the season. We'll
have updates and tweaks as the season moves along.
Best & Worst
Best thing about today: the Salisbury-Gettysburg game
will be aired on ESPN3 (as part of ABC-2's broadcast). Gotta love
getting the high-end treatment when you can get it.
Worst thing about today: Won't get to watch a replay of
the epic BYU-Duluth game that finished up at 11-10 last night in
Provo. It was a game so good that it was exciting following the