April 3, 2013

Diachenko Helps Delaware Nip Marist

from press release

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – A new month meant a change in fortunes for the University of Delaware men's lacrosse team Wednesday afternoon as the Blue Hens finally came out on top in a one-goal game, defeating host Marist 8-7 behind a four-goal effort from senior midfielder Nick Diachenko.

This time it was the Blue Hens (3-8) putting together the fourth-quarter rally as Delaware outscored the Red Foxes 3-0 during the final stanza with Diachenko's fourth tally of the day with 1:53 remaining resulting in the game-winner.

Delaware, which entered the game 0-5 in one-goal contests this season, snapped a three-game losing streak while Marist (7-2) lost for just the second time this season and had a two-game win streak come to an end.

Diachenko, who netted his sixth career hat trick, led the Blue Hen offense while Danny Keane also scored two goals and Brian Kormondy added a goal and an assist. Tyler Barbarich won 10 of 18 faceoffs and freshman goalkeeper Conor Peaks, making just his third career start, stopped 10 shots to earn his first career victory.

Marist, which was receiving votes in the USILA Top 20 poll and had wins over the likes of Stony Brook and Towson earlier this season, got two goals each from Mike Begley and Jim Marks.

Delaware defeated Marist for the fourth time without a loss and matched an 8-7 win over the Red Foxes back in 2011.

The Blue Hens jumped out to a quick 4-1 lead after the first quarter, including two goals by Keane, but Marist reeled off four straight goals and six of the next seven to cut the Delaware lead to 4-3 at the break and eventually take a 7-5 lead into the final stanza.

But this time the fourth quarter belonged to the youthful Blue Hens, who shut down Marist and got three goals, including two by Diachenko, to pull out the win.

Diachenko scored just 2:22 into the final stanza to pull Delaware to within 7-6 and Kormondy knotted the game at 7-7 on an unassisted tally just 68 seconds later.

Neither team would score again until the final minutes when Diachenko tallied the game-winner with 1:53 remaining. Delaware's Connor McRoy had his shot with two minutes left blocked, but Diachenko picked up the loose ball and scored past Dave Scarcello (12 saves) for the game-winner.

Marist's Matt Dugan won the ensuing faceoff against Barbarich, but the Blue Hens defense denied the Red Foxes as a shot by Begley went wide with 1:08 left and Jack Doherty turned the ball over at the 53-second mark. Delaware was then able to clear the ball, and after two timeouts, ran out the clock for the long-awaited victory.

The Hens will look to continue its winning ways this Saturday, Apr. 6, when Delaware hosts Michigan (0-10) at 12 noon at Delaware Stadium for Cancer Awareness Day.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines