Winter Weather Forces Postponements, Relocations
|North Carolina tweeted this picture from Fetzer Field, where both men's and women's games were scheduled for Saturday and are among contests that had to be rescheduled.|
The spring lacrosse season may be here, but a pretty substantial swath of the country is still in the grips of what has been a colder and snowier than normal winter, particularly along the I-95 corridor in the South, where they're not exactly as prepared as Central New York when the precipitation falls in non-liquid form.
With the most recent storm dumping significant snow and sleet along the East Coast from the Carolinas through New England, quite a few games have been affected. Some programs have dug out and are planning to soldier on, while others bumped games from Friday or Saturday to Sunday to buy a little time.
Here's a rundown of what we've seen thus far in terms of games that have been changed from their original schedule, along with those that have changed locations, where possible. The list is not complete -- just what we've been able to cobble together via Twitter, team announcements and other sources.
If you know of a postponement or change in venue that is not listed here, please let us know by emailing LaxMagazine.com editor Sean Burns.
- Asumption at Le Moyne - Rescheduled and moved to Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome
- Villanova at Lehigh - Rescheduled to Sunday at 2 p.m.
- UMBC at Maryland - Rescheduled to Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Virginia at Drexel - Rescheduled to Sunday at 12 p.m.
- Army at VMI - Rescheduled to Sunday at 12 p.m.
- Manhattan at North Carolina – Rescheduled to Sunday at 12 p.m.
- Loyola at Penn State – Moved to Holuba Hall (indoors) on Penn State's campus, time unchanged (Saturday at 1 p.m.)
- Bucknell at Bryant – Rescheduled to Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Hartford at Richmond – Rescheduled to Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Denver at Duke - Moved to grass field on Duke campus, ESPN3 live stream of game cancelled as result of venue change.
- Holy Cross at St. John's – Rescheduled to Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Rollins at Wingate – Postponed indefinitely.
- Lees-McRae at Lenoir-Rhyne – Postponed indefinitely.
- LIU Post at Lenoir-Rhyne – Cancelled (game originally scheduled for Monday).
- LIU Post at Queens – Cancelled (game originally scheduled for Saturday).
- Wagner at Lehigh - Postponed indefinitely.
- George Washington at Drexel - Rescheduled to Sunday at 2:30 p.m. (to allow Virginia-Drexel men's game to be played at noon).
- San Diego State at Winthrop – Rescheduled to Monday at 12 p.m.
- Boston University at North Carolina – Rescheduled to Saturday at 4 p.m., may also be moved to Henry Stadium from Fetzer Field depending on conditions
- Fresno State at Monmouth – Rescheduled to Sunday at 11 a.m.
- Fairfield at Sacred Heart – Rescheduled to March 26 at 3 p.m.
- Duke at Richmond - Postponed indefinitely.
- Longwood at Elon - Postponed indefinitely.
- Methodist at Wingate - Rescheduled to Sunday at 11 a.m.