March 3, 2012

LaSalle Holds Off Delaware in Final Second

from press release

Courtesy Delaware Athletics

NEWARK, Del. -- The University of Delaware women's lacrosse team battled down to the final second of the game Saturday afternoon before the comeback fell just short in a 9-8 setback to La Salle at Delaware Stadium.

Trailing by three goals with 7:06 left to play, Delaware surged back behind two goals from freshman Caitlin McCartney in the final three minutes of action and had the chance to send the game into overtime but a free position shot by Shannon Burns (at right) with under a second left to play was knocked away.

Burns netted three goals to record her first career hat trick for the Blue Hens (2-3), who had a three-game home win streak at Delaware Stadium snapped. The Hens are 7-5 in two seasons at Delaware Stadium under head coach Kateri Linville with four of the losses have come by a single goal with two coming in overtime.

“Our desire to battle back shined through at the end of the game today but unfortunately we fell a little short,” said Linville, whose team won 13 of the 18 draw controls. “We showed a lot of guts and never gave up, which was great to see. We just didn’t take care of the ball the way we needed to and didn’t take advantage of some the opportunities that we had. But we will continue to work hard and we will find ways to get better.”

La Salle (3-1), which won its third straight game, got two goals and two assists from Melanie Sarcinello while Kelly Furman and Jackie Roebuck each scored twice. Goalkeeper Megan Corliss relieved starter Maura Malone eight minutes into the game and posted 10 saves for the win.

Both teams battled close the entire day and neither team led by more than two goals until the 7:06 mark when La Salle took a 9-6 lead on a goal by Roebuck. But the Hens stormed back behind McCartney, who scored on a free position shot with 3:08 and scored another in the same fashion with 25 seconds left to play.

Delaware won the ensuing draw control and had the chance to send the game into overtime. Burns was fouled just as the horn sounded but the officials gathered and determined that .3 seconds was left on the clock. Burns set up for her free position shot directly in front of Corliss but her stick was tipped just as she shot and the ball caromed several feet to the left of the goal as the game ended.

The Blue Hens took an early 2-1 lead on a goal by Burns just under eight minutes into the game but the Explorers answered with three straight tallies to take a 4-2 lead. Burns and Chelsea Fay, who scored a goal for the sixth straight game, responded with consecutive goals for Delaware to tie the game at 4-4 with 3:41 left in the half, but La Salle went into the break up 5-4 on a goal by Nora McGurkin with 1:48 left in the half.

La Salle held the lead the entire second half, but Delaware moved to within one goal twice, pulling to within 6-5 on a goal by Brittany Griel with 23:26 left and to within 7-6 on a goal by Burns with 14:32 remaining.

The Explorers answered with goals by Furman and Roebuck to push the lead back to 9-6 before the Hens mounted their final rally that fell just short.

Delaware will return to action March 7 when the Hens host UMBC at 4 p.m. at Delaware Stadium.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines