March 18, 2013

Seton Hill Continues to Mourn, Investigation Could 'Take Weeks'

by Corey McLaughlin | | Twitter

Video from Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Seton Hill University, its NCAA Division II women's lacrosse program and the lacrosse community at large continues to mourn the loss of Seton Hill head coach Kristina Quigley and her unborn son as a result of a tragic bus accident Saturday morning. Quigley and the driver of the Griffins' chartered bus, 61-year-old Anthony Guaetta, died after the bus crashed off the Pennsylvania Turnpike near Carlisle, Pa., as Seton Hill traveled to a scheduled game at Millersville, outside Lancaster, Pa.

Seton Hill's seven scheduled games through the end of March are listed as cancelled, according to the team's website, although no statement has been released on the remainder of the Griffins' season.

Emotions are still raw, as members of the Seton Hill women's team were among those to attend a memorial service on campus Sunday night. They dressed in uniforms (video at right), clearly distraught, while staff, students and others connected with the small Catholic school outside Pittsburgh gathered for the memorial.

Quigley, 30, who was six months pregnant, is survived by her husband Glenn Quigley and young son, Gavin. No members of her family spoke at Sunday night's memorial, but Quigley's mother, Patty Trionfo, 54, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Sunday of the Seton Hill team, "My daughter would want them to know that she loved every one of her lacrosse players, and she would want them to be strong and live life to the fullest... I keep getting that in my heart."

State police said Monday that the investigation into the crash could take weeks, the Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News reported Monday. It's unclear what caused the bus to veer off of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, travel some 70 yards down a grassy slope and strike a tree. Autopsy results released Monday by the Cumberland (Pa.) County Coroner's said the driver of the bus died of multiple traumatic injuries, the Patriot-News reported. A toxicology test is still pending.

At least one player from the team remains hospitalized. Amanda Michalski, a freshman attacker from Coon Rapids, Minn., was listed in fair condition at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman told the Associated Press.

An outpouring of support has sprung up across the lacrosse community with players and teams being urged to wear crimson and gold — Seton Hill's school colors — in support of the program.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines