MLL Introduces Instant Replay for Scoring Plays
|Teams will be allowed to
challenge calls on scoring plays in the MLL for the 2013
© Bill Danielewski
Major League Lacrosse announced Wednesday that the league will implement limited instant replay for the upcoming 2013 MLL season. Players expressed interest in creating an instant replay system and the idea was approved by the MLL Board of Managers this summer. The scope was finalized by the MLL Coaches and GM's and the league is on course to start the 2013 season using limited instant replay. Below is an overview of the instant replay guidelines.
All MLL games are broadcast in some form, either online or on an ESPN network or CBS Sports Network.
Scope of Replay
Instant replay will be limited in 2013 to scoring plays. Specifically, replay can be used to determine ONLY (1) whether the ball had completely crossed the plane of the goal; (2) whether a goal scored should be counted as a one- or two-point goal; or (3) whether the last player in possession of the ball prior to the shot on goal had stepped in the crease prior to the ball crossing the plane of the goal.
· Instant replay will be used via a challenge system by the teams
· Each team will be provided up to two challenges per game during regulation time
· If applicable, each team will be provided one challenge during an overtime scenario
· If a challenge is successful there is no timeout charged, if a challenge is unsuccessful the team is charged with a timeout
· If a team attempts a challenge without a timeout, they will be given a delay of game penalty and their challenge will not be reviewed
To see the full list of MLL Official Limited Instant Replay Rules click here.
The addition of instant replay is another significant bit of news from the MLL in a week. The league office sent a memo to teams and players last week saying it was allowing any lacrosse manufacturer to partner with the league and have its product worn on-field during games.
comments powered by Disqus