Gilroy Stars in Florida Win Over High Point
from Florida press release
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Junior Shannon Gilroy set
three program records en route to leading the No. 8 Florida Gators
past the High Point Panthers, 18-7, on Saturday afternoon at Donald
R. Dizney Stadium. Gilroy nabbed 10 draw controls and scored 8
goals off 13 shots to set single-game records for Florida.
The Gators took control early, scoring four goals in the first 3:13 of the game. Five different players scored for Florida, led by Gilroy’s career-high eight goals. Junior Nora Barry added a season-high four goals of her own, all of which were scored on free-position attempts, which set a new program record as well. Rookie Sammi Burgess added a career-high three goals, while sophomores Carly Ross and Sam Darcangelo chipped in two and one, respectively.
NUMBERS OF NOTE
· Shannon Gilroy set or tied three Florida program records with 10 draw controls, eight goals and 13 shots. She also scored a career-high eight points.
· Junior Nora Barry set a program record of her own, going a perfect 4-for-4 on free-position attempts. Barry set season-highs in goals (4) and draw controls (3), while tying a career-high five points.
· Reigning ALC Rookie of the Week Sammi Burgess notched season highs of three goals and five ground balls.
· Goalkeepers Cara Canington and Mary-Sean Wilcox both notched five saves. Canington allowed a season-low of two goals, while Wilcox set a season-high in saves.
· Sophomore Carly Ross scored career-highs with two goals and two points, while also tallying a season-high two draw controls.
· Sophomore Lauren Lea registered a career-high six ground balls, while adding an assist.
· Freshmen Mollie Stevens and Hannah Burnett picked up a season-highs of in ground balls with three and two, respectively.
Florida improves to 2-1 on the season, while High Point falls to 1-1.
Florida now owns a 2-0 record in the series with High Point.
“It was a great team win. I thought offensively, we stuck with the game plan and executed well. Obviously, a phenomenal game from Shannon (Gilroy) again, which is something we’ve come to expect and she continues to deliver. Nora (Barry) was great again, just doing the dirty work but also taking advantage of the offensive opportunities she has. I thought Sammi (Burgess) did a really nice job today, not only having the ball in her stick, but also being composed and taking her opportunities. Carly (Ross) did a great job coming off the bench for us. Defensively, I thought we did a good job containing their attackers. Again, Cara (Canington) and Mary-Sean (Wilcox) both did a great job in goal for us. They both put in solid efforts, came up with big saves when we needed them and we able to get the ball out of the defensive end.”
The Gators continue their four-game home stand on Thursday, Feb. 20 at 6:30 p.m., when they host James Madison at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. There will be a fireworks display following the game.
comments powered by Disqus