No. 5 Florida Bounces Back Beating Dartmouth
from press release
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Shannon Gilroy scores six
goals and caused a career-high four turnovers to lead the No. 5
Florida lacrosse team to victory over the Dartmouth Big Green,
14-7, Tuesday night at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Four Gators joined
Gilroy in setting career records as Caroline Fitzgerald picked up
five ground balls, Krista Grabher notched two draw controls, Mollie
Stevens tallied eight shots and Mary-Sean Wilcox notched a
career-high save percentage of .800.
Dartmouth scored first, but Florida answered with three goals in less than three minutes to take a 3-1 lead with 22:12 left in the first half. The Big Green’s defense held the Gators scoreless for nearly 14 minutes, before Gilroy sparked a four-run spurt that Florida used to close out the first stanza.
While the Gators had a 7-3 lead entering the second half, the momentum appeared to be in favor of the Big Green. Each team scored a goal before Dartmouth found the back of the net three times in less than two minutes, cutting Florida’s lead to 8-6 with 19:45 on the clock. Following the Dartmouth run, Mary-Sean Wilcox entered the cage for Florida and closed out the game, making four saves while facing six shots. On the offensive third, Florida finished the game with a 6-1 run that put the final score at 14-7.
NUMBERS OF NOTE
· Shannon Gilroy scored a game-high six goals and tied her career-high, program record 13 shots. Gilroy also recorded a career-high four caused turnovers, while grabbing four draw controls and two ground balls. Additionally, Gilroy connected on three free-position goals, tying Kitty Cullen for the most free-position goals in a season (20).
· Caroline Fitzgerald grabbed a career-high five ground balls and also notched a draw control and a caused turnover.
· Krista Grabher tallied a career-high two draw controls and added a ground ball.
· Mollie Stevens scored two goals for the Gators, which came off a career-high eight shots. She also tied her career-high of two ground balls and recorded a draw control.
· Mary-Sean Wilcox recorded a career-high save percentage of .800, while in the cage for 19:45.
· Lauren Lea picked up a career-high-tying six ground balls and also scoring a goal and registering a draw control.
· Nora Barry, Sammi Burgess, Sam Darcangelo, and Carly Ross also scored goals for Florida.
· As a team, the Gators shot the ball a season-high 40 times and tied the season high of 26 ground balls.
· The Gators once again controlled the draw, beating Dartmouth 17-6 in the circle.
Florida moves to 9-2 on the season, while Dartmouth falls to 3-3 for the season.
Florida owns a 3-0 advantage in the series, including a 2-0 record in Gainesville.
“The midfield did a really nice job tonight at both ends of the field; I thought they played well offensively – Shannon (Gilroy), Nora (Barry) and Sam (Darcangelo). I think Mollie (Stevens) had some key shots that were momentum boosters. Krista (Grabher) did a really nice job transitioning the ball and Sydney (DuPre) played very, very well in the second half. Mary-Sean (Wilcox) was unbelievable tonight. She came in, made some huge saves for us and changed the momentum a lot. I was very impressed and pleased with her play tonight. I have to give a lot of credit to Dartmouth. They are a really, really well-coached team and they came out and played hard tonight.”
comments powered by Disqus