Mid-Atlantic Region Report: March 29, 2011
by Chris Goldberg | LaxMagazine.com
After a big first week of the season, LM Mid-Atlantic Girls' Player of the Week Taylor Cummings and No. 1 McDonogh (Md.) will face stiffer tests in No. 10 Roland Park (Tuesday) and No. 2 John Carroll (Thursday) this week.
© John Strohsacker/LaxPhotos.com
Player of Week
Taylor Cummings, McDonogh (Md.)
The Maryland-bound Cummings, a junior midfielder, had a combined nine goals and 14 draw controls as the Eagles defeated Roland Park, 16-14, and Notre Dame Prep, 13-6, in the season's first week. Cummings also had a goal, three ground balls and three draw controls in limited time in a 19-2 rout of Taft School (Conn.).
Mid-Atlantic Region Top 10
1. McDonogh (Md.) – 3-0 - The Eagles have picked up where they left off from last year, opening with three wins, including a 13-6 conquest of No. 4 Notre Dame Prep.
2. John Carroll (Md.) – 1-0 – The Patriots play at No. 10 Roland Park today and then host No. 1 McDonogh Thursday in a big week.
3. Bryn Mawr (Md.) – 4-0 – The Mawrtians opened with a huge win over Sts. Stephen's and Agnes and have kept rolling.
4. Notre Dame Prep (Md.) – 1-1 – The Blazers fell behind early, 6-2, and never recovered in their loss to No. 1 McDonogh.
5. Good Counsel (Md.) – 5-0 – The Falcons gained a key 11-9 win Monday over
6. Century (Md.) – 2-0 – The Knights face a big test today at C.M. Wright.
7. Ridegwood (N.J.) – 0-0 - The Maroons open Monday at Chatham (N.J.).
8. Moorestown (N.J.) – 0-0 – The Quakers open Saturday at Philly power Strath Haven.
9. St. Stephen's and St. Agnes (Va.) – 7-1- The Saints have won six straight games.
10. Roland Park (Md.) – 2-1 – The Reds gave No. 1 McDonogh a major scare last week in a 16-14 loss, stamping them as a force.
Game of the Week
No. 1 McDonogh (Nd.) at No. 2 John Carroll (Md.) -
Thursday 3:45 p.m. (in Bel Air, Md.)
McDonogh has already defeated former No. 2 Notre Dame Prep after claiming a hard-fought 16-14 victory over No. 10 Roland Park (Md.). These two teams are owners of the last four IAAM A championships.
News and Notes
No. 4 Good Counsel earned a key 11-9 win over Winters Park Monday as Brigid Smith (23 goals, 21 assists overall) had five goals and Kelly Lechner (22 goals, 18 assists) added three goals and two assists in the 11-9 victory. Caileigh Sindall has 29 draw controls, 26 groundballs and 11 goals for Good Counsel and sophomore Meagh Graham had 16 saves and now has 61 saves overall ...No. 2 John Carroll (Md.) earned a 17-9 victory over Severn in its opener as Annie Thomas had four goals and two assists, Cat Gordon had four goals and Erica Bodt contributed two goals and eight draw controls... Unranked Pennsylvania power Episcopal Academy defeated two-time defending Delaware champion Cape Henlopen, 12-6, as U.S. U19 team captain Taylor Trimble collected four goals and two assists.
comments powered by Disqus