LM South Region Report: March 29, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
LM South Region Player of the Week Erin Schroeder and top-ranked Vero Beach will put their 50-game winning streak on the line Saturday against third-ranked Lake Brantley.
Player of the Week
Erin Schroeder – Vero Beach, Fla.
Schroeder tallied 13 goals and three assists last week in helping the Fighting Indians to wins over Kent Denver, Archbishop Carroll (Pa.) and Flint Hill School. Eight of Schroeder's goals came during the Amlax Tournament, with four coming in the 10-9 victory against Archbishop Carroll.
South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) –12-0– The Fighting Indians pushed their unbeaten streak to 50 games last week, collecting victories against Kent Denver, Archbishop Carroll (Pa.), and Flint Hill School.
2. Cy-Fair (Texas) –8-1– On Friday, the Iron Maidens saw their first loss of the season after falling to Sts. Stephen's & Agnes, but they closed out the weekend with victories over Episcopal Dallas and Agnes Irwin.
3. Lake Brantley (Fla.) –8-1– The Patriots saw an eight-game winning streak end against Archbishop Carroll (Pa.) on Saturday at the Amlax Challenge.
4. Milton (Ga.) – 8-1 – The Eagles have put up 14-or-more goals in each of their wins this season. Additionally, Milton has scored 17 goals in each of its last three games.
5. Episcopal Houston (Texas) –7-5– The Knights have been tested as of late with five of their last seven games being against schools from Maryland, Pennsylvania, and D.C.
6. Hockaday School (Texas) –7-2– Snapping a two-game skid, the Daisies have won their last two.
7. Episcopal Dallas (Texas) –9-5– The Eagles faced multiple tough opponents last week, including Sts. Stephen's & Agnes, Cy-Fair and Episcopal Houston.
8. Westminster (Ga.) – 10-0– Playing in a different division, the Wildcats posted two wins over AAAAA opponents last weekend, including a six-goal victory against Northview.
9. Bishop Moore (Fla.) – 10-0 – With two games last week, Bishop Moore outscored opponents 34-9.
10. Apex (N.C.) –10-0– Coming off a 3-0 week to remain undefeated, the Cougars are proving to be among North Carolina's top teams for the 2011 season.
Game of the Week
No. 1 Vero Beach at No. 3 Lake Brantley – Saturday
Perhaps one of the most anticipated matchups in the South Region, Vero Beach and Lake Brantley meet for the first time this season on Saturday in Altamonte Springs. The two teams last met in the 2010 Florida State Championships with Vero Beach squeezing out a 10-9 win to capture its sixth-straight title.
News and Notes
Vero Beach enters the week with a 50-game winning streak, which is second longest in the nation... South Carolina's Blythewood also ranks on the consecutive wins list, having won its last 33.
comments powered by Disqus