Northeast Region Report: April 5, 2011
by Joe Lombardi | LaxMagazine.com
Garden City goalie Kelly Weis searches for the loose ball during the top-ranked Trojans' double-overtime win against St. Anthony's.
© Greg Shemitz
Player of the Week
Erin Riley, Clarkstown South, N.Y.
Riley scored 11 goals in a pair of season-opening wins. The Vikings defeated Carmel and rival Nyack.
Northeast Region Top 10
1. Garden City (N.Y.) – 3-0 – The Trojans pulled out an 11-10 double-overtime win against St. Anthony's to stay perfect.
2. Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.) – 2-0 – Alex Fehmel netted the game-winner in an overtime game against Huntington.
3. St. Anthony's (N.Y.) – 1-1 – The Friars battled back from an early 5-2 deficit to come this close to pulling out what would have been a huge win against top-ranked Garden City.
4. Farmingdale (N.Y.) – 1-1 – The Dalers bounced back from a season-opening loss to Garden City by beating Oceanside 20-6.
5. Loomis Chafee (Conn.) – 0-0 – Alexandra Crerend and the Pelicans have a big test coming up against perennial Fairfield County power Darien on April 16.
6. Northport (N.Y.) – 2-0 – The Tigers have outscored their first two opponents 44-10.
7. Greenwich (Conn.) – 0-0 – Experience in abundance is the theme as the Cardinals get set to get things started.
8. Framingham (Mass.) – 0-0 – The Flyers stunned Westwood in the postseason last year to avenge for a regular-season setback.
9. Lakeland/Panas (N.Y.) – 0-0 – Neighboring rival Putnam Valley will be a good test for the Rebels on Friday, April 8.
10. Fox Lane (0-0) – Senior Lindsay Toppe and junior Sammy Jo Tracy comprise one of the top one-two scoring combos anywhere.
Game of the Week
Wellesley at No. 8 Framingham – Tuesday, April 12,
Two of the leading teams in the commonwealth will battle it out in an early season showdown. If it winds up anything like last year's meeting, fans will be in for a treat. That game ended in a 15-15 tie following double overtime.
News and Notes
Darien's girls' more than have more than held their own in comparison with the school's boys' varsity team, which is going for a seventh straight state title. The Blue Wave girls have won 10 state titles in their history ... Kellenberg scored 14 of its goals in the first half of a 17-10 win at Holy Trinity.
comments powered by Disqus