LM South Region Report: April 5, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
Annie Ruland and the South Region No. 4-ranked Milton (Ga.) girls' lacrosse team will face Loyola Academy (Ill.), one of the nation's top teams, in Washington D.C. on Friday.
© John Strohsacker/LaxPhotos.com
Player of the Week
Delaney Fisher, Cy-Fair (Texas)
Fisher had a balanced scoring effort in both of Cy-Fair’s wins last week, helping the Iron Maidens improve to 10-1 on the season. The Towson-bound midfielder put away a game-high four goals, including one in overtime, and added one assist to lift Cy-Fair over St. John’s on March 30. She followed that effort up with another game-high four goals and two assists the next day versus Memorial of Houston.
South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) - 15-0 - Vero Beach’s winning-streak stayed intact last week with the Fighting Indians going 3-0, including a 16-5 win against Lake Brantley on April 2.
2. Cy-Fair (Texas) - 10-1 - The Iron Maidens have won their last four, including a 15-12 overtime victory against St. John’s last week. Cy-Fair is idle this week and returns to action next Tuesday against Woodlands.
3. Lake Brantley (Fla.) - 9-2 - Lake Brantley split its doubleheader on April 2 last week, posting a 15-5 win over Timber Creek and falling to Vero Beach.
4. Milton (Ga.) - 9-1 - Riding a six-game winning-streak, the Eagles are coming off a 20-5 win at Centennial. Milton travels to Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia for three neutral-site games later this week.
5. Episcopal Houston (Texas) - 9-5 - Playing two games last week, Episcopal Houston scored 18 goals in each game to give them a 2-0 showing on the week.
6. Episcopal Dallas (Texas) - 11-5 - The Eagles snapped a two-game losing skid last week, pulling out a 17-13 win against Highland Park on March 30 and then a 15-4 victory at Allen the next day.
7. Westminster (Ga.) - 11-0 - The Wildcats remain perfect this season with a 12-4 win against Sprayberry in their only game of the week.
8. Hockaday School (Texas) - 7-3 - The Daisies were tripped up in their only game last week, falling 16-14 to Ursuline Academy on Mar. 30.
9. Bishop Moore (Fla.) - 13-0 - The Hornets won all three of their games last week, which included a home win against Olympia and road wins at Cardinal Gibbons (Fla.) and St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.), to remain perfect on the season.
10. Apex (N.C.) - 12-0 - Domination showed throughout both the Cougars’ games last week against Panther Creek (19-3 win) and Cardinal Gibbons (N.C) (20-1 win).
Game of the Week
Milton (Ga.) vs. Loyola Academy (Ill.) - Friday 10:30 a.m. (at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.)
Milton will face one of the top teams in the country this Friday at Georgetown University. Winners of its first five games, Loyola Academy has played out-of-state opponents in its last three games and has not allowed any opponent to score more than six goals. Milton enters the game with a six-game winning streak, with its only loss coming at the hands of Vero Beach.
News and Notes
The Cy-Fair-Episcopal Houston game that was scheduled for April 7 has been postponed until April 14 at 7 p.m….By going 3-0 last week, Vero Beach pushed its winning-streak to 53 games, tying Okemos High School from Michigan for consecutive wins. The Fighting Indians close out the regular season today against South Fork. Meanwhile, Okemos plays its first game of the season on April 12.
comments powered by Disqus