LM West Region Report: April 5, 2011
by Mark Medina | LaxMagazine.com
Anya Gersoff and top-ranked Cherry Creek will play fourth-ranked Kent Denver on Tuesday in a game featuring Colorado's top two girls' lacrosse programs.
© Trevor Brown
Player of the Week
Kaitlyn Couture, Coronado (Calif.)
A USC commit, Couture scored five goals in the Islanders' 13-4 victory March 29 against Poway.
West Region Top 10
1. Cherry Creek (Colo.) - 7-0 - Though Carel Dwyer stepped down as head coach to spend more time with family, the Bruins appear to have gone through minimal hiccups with Dee Cryer at the helm. That's a good thing, considering Dwyer led Cherry Creek to five state titles in seven years, including an undefeated state championship in 2010.
2. Coronado (Calif.) - 9-1 - Its quick-strike offense has averaged 12.2 points per game.
3. St. Ignatius Prep (Calif.) - 5-1 - The Vikings boast a heavy-laden senior class that averages 14.83 points per contest.
4. Kent Denver (Colo.) - 2-1 - After featuring an offense that averaged 18 points per game while allowing 5.5, the Sun Devils suffered a head-scratching 22-7 loss March 22 to Vero Beach.
5. Bainbridge Island (Wash.) - 1-0 - The state runner up returns seven seniors in 2011, including 2010 All-American and All-State selection Jaclyn Biggers.
6. Centaurus (Calif.) - 4-1 - The Warriors' 18-17 victory April 1 over Air Academy is just one example of an offense that's producing 15.8 goals per contest.
7. Foothill-Orange County (Calif.) - 8-2 - The Knights handed rival Los Alamitos its second loss of the season and shut out Yorba Linda, 16-0.
8. Carondelet (Calif.) - 7-2 - In the past three games, the Cougars have outscored opponents by an average of 15 goals per contest.
9. Air Academy (Colo.) - 4-1 - The Raiders opened the season with a four-game winning streak, but they fell to Centaurus after allowing the highest number of goals this season.
10. Eden Prairie (Minn.) - 0-0 - It enters the 2011 season with plenty of motivation. Eden Praire lost to Blake School in state championship in two of the past three years and also had its 32-game winning streak snapped.
Game of the Week
No. 4 Kent Denver vs. No. 1 Cherry Creek, Tuesday
The Sun Devils have had two weeks to prepare for a matchup against the best high school team in the West region.
comments powered by Disqus