Mid-Atlantic Region Report: April 12, 2011
by Chris Goldberg | LaxMagazine.com
Ridgewood (N.J.) standout Sammy Giordano scored five goals in the Maroons' 10-8 victory over Moorestown (N.J.), its first ever in the series. Moorestown has lost two of its last four games to New Jersey opponents after a 228-game in-state winning streak.
Player of Week
Sammy Giordano, Ridgewood, N.J.
Giordano scored five goals as the Maroons defeated Moorestown, 10-8, for the first time ever in the battle of the state's top two teams. Moorestown, which had won 228 straight games against New Jersey foes until falling to Shawnee in the state semis last year, has now lost two if its last four games in the state.
Mid-Atlantic Region Top 10
1. McDonogh (Md.) - 7-0 - The Eagles have scored 98 goals in their last five games.
2. Good Counsel (Md.) - 10-0 – The Falcons defeated host Sts. Stephen's and Agnes, 11-7, and routed Episcopal (Va) 19-6, at the Spring Fling on Saturday.
3. Ridgewood (N.J.) – 2-0 - The Maroons travel to Shawnee today.
4. Bryn Mawr (Md.) – 7-1 – The Mawrtians defeated Mount de Sales, 16-8, in their only game last week.
5. Century (Md.) – 4-0 – The Knights host undefeated Manchester Valley today.
6. Moorestown (N.J.) – 3-1 – The Quakers bounded from their loss to Ridgewood by routing Bishop Eustace, 20-5, Monday. They play St. Anthony's Saturday at Princeton at 10 a.m. before the Princeton-Harvard women's game after hosting prep power Peddie on Friday.
7. St. Stephen's and St. Agnes (Va.) – 12-2- The Saints rebounded from their loss to Good Counsel by edging Rumson-Fair Haven (NJ) 8-7..
8. Roland Park (Md.) - 7-2 – The Reds handed Notre Dame Prep a 15-12 defeat.
9. Notre Dame Prep (Md.) – 3-3 – The Blazers hope to rebound from the loss to Roland Park today at Archbishop Spalding (Md.).
10. Archbishop Carroll (Pa.) - 5-1 – The Patriots handled two Virginia teams at the Spring Fling, Collegiate and Episcopal, by 11-5 scores.
Game of the Week
No. 7 St. Stephen's and St. Agnes at No. 9 Notre Dame Prep, Friday, 4 p.m.
The host Saints and Blazers are both coming off tough losses last week. Notre Dame Prep won the battle last year, 17-9.
News and Notes
Jess Miller scored the go-ahead goal and Sammy Giordano added her fifth as insurance as Ridgewood (N.J.) handed Moorestown a 10-8 defeat. The Ridgewood defense was the story after the Quakers seized 7-5 lead in the second half. Ridgewood held Moorestown scoreless for more than 20 minutes as senior goalie Isabel Sippel made 11 saves, the Maroons won nearly every draw control and a defense led by Taylor Pedersen and Sally Jentis put the clamps on the Moorestown attack... Good Counsel (Md.) got six goals and two assists from Shannon Lechner and two goals and three assists from Brigid Smith in its 11-7 victory over host St. Stephen's and St. Agnes at the Spring Fling. Morgan Stephens added two goals and Caileigh Sindall struck once while sophomore goalie Meagh Graham (11 saves) paced the defense. Katie Austin and Michele Phillips each scored twice for the Saints.
comments powered by Disqus