LM South Region Report: April 12, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
Emily Newstrom and second-ranked Cy-Fair will take on city rival and fifth-ranked Houston Episcopal in the LM South Region Game of the Week on Thursday.
© Lonnie Erickson
Girls' Player of the Week
Lydia Cassada, Milton (Ga.)
In three games last week, Cassada tallied 14 goals and eight assists as the Eagles posted wins against Loyola Academy (Ill.), Holy Cross (Md.) and Rumson-Fair Haven. She was instrumental in the victory against Loyola Academy, scoring the game-winner with 2:23 left in the game. In the St. Stephens & St. Agnes Spring Flight, Cassada, a sophomore, notched 4 goals and two assists and five goals and three assists against Holy Cross and Rumson-Fair Haven, respectively.
South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) - 16-0 - A 53-game winning streak remained intact this week as the Fighting Indians closed out the regular season with a 24-2 win at South Fork on Apr. 5.
2. Cy-Fair (Texas) - 10-1 - The Iron Maidens were off last week after their game at Episcopal Houston was rescheduled for this Thursday. Cy-Fair faces The Woodlands on Tuesday before taking on the Knights.
3. Milton (Ga.) - 12-1 - Milton knocked off nationally ranked Loyola Academy (Ill.) 15-14 at Georgetown University and then went 2-0 at the Spring Fling in Northern Virginia. The Eagles will get tested this weekend in The Legacy Lacrosse Cup with games against Westminster and Summit (N.J.).
4. Lake Brantley (Fla.) - 12-2 - A 3-0 week for the Patriots featured a pair of 19-1 wins against Lyman and Lake Howell and a 10-6 victory at Oviedo.
5. Episcopal Houston (Texas) - 9-5 - The Knights outscored opponents 39-13 in their two games last week. Episcopal Houston finishes the regular season this Thursday against Cy-Fair in a game that has district seeding implications.
6. Westminster (Ga.) - 14-0 - Entering the week riding a 21-game riding streak that dates back to last season, the Wildcats last loss occurred on Apr. 22, 2010 against Milton – the team that they will face on Friday.
7. Hockaday School (Texas) - 9-3 - The Daisies finished 2-0 on the week with wins against Coppell and Highland Park.
8. Episcopal Dallas (Texas) - 11-6 - Tripped up 15-13 by Ursuline Academy (Texas) in their only game last week, the Eagles finish out the regular season against Hockaday SG and Greenhill School this week.
9. Bishop Moore (Fla.) - 14-1 - The Hornets won their first game last week, but fell 13-12 to St. Edwards to snap a 14-game winning streak.
10. Apex (N.C.) - 13-0 - The Cougars have scored 20 goals in each of their last two games, including in last week's 20-10 victory against Green Hope.
Game of the Week
Cy-Fair at Episcopal Houston, Thursday, 7 p.m. Central
Episcopal Houston's Simmons Field will be the place to be on Thursday night with a showdown between with a No. 1 seed in the city championships on the line. Both Cy-Fair and Episcopal enter the week with 4-0 division records and sit atop of the South District standings. Neither team has yet to lose to an in-state opponent in 2011 with Cy-Fair's only loss being against St. Stephen's & St. Agnes. Meanwhile, the Knights' five losses were all at the hands of teams from Maryland, Pennsylvania and northern Virginia. Although each team has talented offensive playmakers – Kimberly Khourie and Sydney Dupre from Episcopal Houston and Delaney Fisher and Emily Newstrom from Cy-Fair – the defenses from each team are solid and are expected to make it tough for any easy plays or goals to get through.
News and Notes
The Legacy Lacrosse Cup will take place this weekend in Georgia. The Jackson family started it in 2008 after 16-year-old Parker Jackson died in a single vehicle accident in 2006. Parker played lacrosse for Milton High School. This year's The Legacy Lacrosse Cup will feature multiple South Region teams, including a Milton-Westminster match-up. Visit LegacyLacrosseCup.com for more information about the 2011 event. For information about future Legacy Lacrosse Cups, contact Lauren Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org...The South Region's first state champion of the 2011 season will be determined this Saturday. South Carolina's Class AAAA girls' lacrosse finals will take place and will include the winners of the Riverside-Mauldin and Blythewood-Wando semifinals.
comments powered by Disqus