LM South Region Report: April 19, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
Sydney Dupre and the No. 5-ranked Episcopal Houston girls' lacrosse team hope to make a run in the Texas state playoffs out of the South District.
Player of the Week
Lauren Ragsdale, Milton (Ga.)
Ragsdale recorded 20 saves in cage last week, helping the Eagles to a 1-0-1 record. She made 11 stops against previously undefeated Westminster on Friday. The next day, Ragsdale had nine saves in the thrilling 11-11 tie against Summit (N.J.), including a save right at the end of regulation to send the game into overtime.
LM South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) - 16-0 - Idle last week, Vero Beach's postseason begins with the District 9 championships that started Monday.
2. Milton (Ga.) - 13-1-1 - Both of the Eagles' games last week were part of The Legacy Lacrosse Cup. Milton fended off Westminster 13-9 on Friday afternoon and then played Summit (N.J.) to an 11-11 tie on Saturday.
3. Cy-Fair (Texas) - 12-1 - A 13-8 win at Episcopal Houston allowed Cy-Fair to capture the South District regular season title. The Iron Maidens, who were 2-0 last week, received a bye in the South District quarterfinals and will face The Woodlands on Wednesday in the semifinals.
4. Lake Brantley (Fla.) - 14-2 - The Patriots finished the regular season with a pair of wins, allowing Lake Brantley to take a five-game winning streak into the District 5 championships. Lake Brantley opens the postseason against Lake Howell on Wednesday.
5. Episcopal Houston (Texas) - 11-6 - The Knights dropped a 13-8 game to Cy-Fair last week, earning the second seed in the South District tournament. Episcopal Houston faced Memorial Houston on Monday, with the winner advancing to play St. John's on Wednesday.
6. Westminster (Ga.) - 15-1 - The Wildcats pushed their winning streak to 22 games with a victory over Riverwood early in the week. However, a 13-9 loss to Milton at The Legacy Lacrosse Cup ended the streak on Friday.
7. Hockaday School (Texas) - 12-3 - Among the Daisies' games last week was a 13-11 win at Episcopal Dallas and a 17-3 victory against Byrd in the North District Division I Championships.
8. Episcopal Dallas (Texas) - 13-7 - The Eagles ended the regular season last week by splitting their games, but kicked off the postseason with a 14-1 win against Plano Club on Sunday in the North District Division I Championships.
9. Bishop Moore (Fla.) - 16-2 - A 2-1 week marked the end of the regular season for the Hornets, who face Ocoee in the District 6 semifinals.
10. Apex (N.C.) - (16-0) - The Cougars wrapped up a perfect regular season last week with three wins.
Game of the Week
No. 7 Hockaday School vs. No. 8 Episcopal Dallas,
Thursday, 8 p.m. Central
Could the third time be the charm for Episcopal Dallas this season? The third meeting this season between Hockaday and Episcopal Dallas will take place on Thursday in the North District Division I semifinals. Hockaday won both of the regular season games, defeating the Eagles 13-5 in March and then 13-11 last week. Both teams easily got out of the district's opening round with Episcopal Dallas winning 14-1 over Plano and Hockaday SG 17-3 over Byrd. The winner of Thursday's game will face the winner of Highland Park-Ursuline Academy in the April 27 championship.
News and Notes
The first South Region state champion was crowned this past Saturday as Wando defeated Riverside 15-13 for the 2011 South Carolina Class AAAA championship. Lizzy Reed and Whitney Smith combined for 10 of Wando's goals... Cy-Fair's Emily Newstrom recorded 12 of the Iron Maidens' 27 goals last week, including seven in the showdown against Episcopal Houston...Last week's LM West Region Player of the Week Lydia Cassada totaled 11 goals in the Eagles' two games and was a perfect 4-for-4 in free position shots against Summit (N.J.).
comments powered by Disqus