LM South Region Report: April 26, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
Player of the Week
Ally Icardi, Winter Park (Fla.)
Icardi recorded nine goals in two games last week to lift Winter Park to a District 7 championship and advance to the FHSAA First-Round Play-In. In the first game, Icardi netted five goals, including all four of Winter Park's first-half goals. She then scored the first goal in the overtime period. Then in the championship game, Icardi tallied four goals in the Wildcats' 11-9 upset of top-seeded Lake Highland Prep.
South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) - 18-0 - The Fighting Indians captured their seventh consecutive District 9 championship last week, defeating Martin County and Jensen Beach, and will face Benjamin in the First-Round Play-In of the FHSAA Finals.
2. Milton (Ga.) - 13-1-1 - Idle last week after their game with Walton was cancelled, the Eagles conclude the regular season this week with games against North Forsyth and Chattahoochee.
3. Cy-Fair (Texas) - 13-1 - With a 20-11 win last week against The Woodlands, Cy-Fair advances to the South District Championship this week and will face rival St. John's.
4. Lake Brantley (Fla.) - 16-2 - After capturing the District 5 Championship with victories against Lake Howell and Lake Mary, the Patriots take on Bishop Moore this Friday in the FHSAA Finals First-Round Play-In game.
5. Westminster (Ga.) - 16-1 - The Wildcats posted a 19-2 win against Allatoona last week and concludes the regular season this week against Centennial.
6. Hockaday School (Texas) - 14-3 - The Daisies stayed alive in the North District Championships with a 10-9 four-overtime victory over Episcopal Dallas. They will take on Ursuline Academy in the championships on Wednesday.
7. Bishop Moore (Fla.) - 16-2 - Defeating Oconee and West Orange, the Hornets won the District 6 title and will face Lake Brantley in the FHSAA Finals First-Round Play In.
8. Ursuline Academy (Texas) - 9-2 - Winners of their last six, the Bears had a first-round bye in the North District Championships. Ursuline defeated Highland Park in the semifinals and advanced to the finals to play Hockaday School.
9. Winter Springs (Fla.) - 16-4 - The Bears defeated Seminole (Sanford) and rival Oviedo en route to the District 4 title. Winter Springs plays Buchholz in the First-Round Play-In in the FHSAA Finals.
10. Apex (N.C.) - 16-0 - Idle last week, the Cougars have a bye in the first round of the Conference 2 playoffs. Apex's next game will be next Tuesday.
Game of the Week
St. John's (Texas) vs. No. 3 Cy-Fair, Tuesday 7 p.m.
Two rivals meet on Tuesday night to determine the South District Champions in Texas. Cy-Fair held off St. John's in 15-12 in overtime on Mar. 30 in the regular season meeting. The Mavericks used a three-goal run to send the game into extra time, but overtime goals from Delaney Fisher, Shannon Jamieson and Casey McCarthy propelled Cy-Fair to the win. The Iron Maidens are riding a seven-game winning streak heading into Tuesday night's title game. Winners of its last six, St. John's is the only team to take Cy-Fair into overtime this season.
News and Notes
With playoffs beginning in several states, there will be multiple games to keep an eye on this week... In Florida, Lake Brantley and Bishop Moore play in a FHSAA Finals First-Round Play-In. The two teams have yet to meet this season... In addition to St. John's and Cy-Fair in Texas, Ursuline Academy and Hockaday School square off in the North District finals. It will be the second meeting between the two teams this year. Earlier this season, Ursuline defeated Hockaday 15-13... Another state champion will get crowned this weekend. Alabama will host its state championship at Heardmont Park.
comments powered by Disqus