LM South Region Report: May 3, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
Erin Schroeder came up big in Vero Beach's regular season win over Lake Brantley. The two Florida powerhouses reunite Friday in the FHSAA semifinals.
Player of the Week
Josie Lent, Vestavia Hills (Ala.)
Lent helped Vestavia Hils capture its third straight state championship last week. In the Rebels' close 13-12 semifinal win over Hoover, she contributed on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball, recording three goals and one assist and making several key plays on defense. Then in the low-scoring state final versus Oak Mountain, Lent's defensive play was a critical factor and resulted in her receiving the MVP award for the game.
South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) - 20-0 - The Fighting Indians outscored their opponents 40-6 in the FHSAA play-in rounds and will face Lake Brantley in the state semifinals.
2. Milton (Ga.) - 15-1-1 - The Eagles closed out the week with wins over North Forsyth and Chattahoochee and will play North Gwinnett in the GHSA first round.
3. Cy-Fair (Texas) - 15-1 - The Iron Maidens defeated rival St. John's 17-15 in the South District championship and earn a first-round bye in the TGHSLL state championships.
4. Lake Brantley (Fla.) - 16-2 - Holding off Bishop Moore by one and then defeating Winter Park 14-8 put the Patriots into the FHSAA state semifinals against Vero Beach.
5. Westminster (Ga.) - 17-1 - The Wildcats finished the regular season with a 14-3 win against Centennial. Westminster's quest for a GHSA A-AAAA state championship begins on Wednesday with a first-round game against Northgate.
6. Hockaday School (Texas) - 17-4 - Playing in four games last week, the Daisies defeated Ursuline Academy 13-8 on Wednesday to earn a first-round bye in the TGHSLL state tournament. Hockaday then went 2-1 at the SPC Championships, finishing fifth.
7. Winter Springs (Fla.) - 18-4 - A 2-0 week with victories in the FHSAA play-in rounds against Buchholz and Bartram Trail allow the Bears to reach the state semifinals versus Pine Crest.
8. Bishop Moore (Fla.) - 18-3 - The Hornets saw their season come to an end with a 15-14 loss to Lake Brantley in the FHSAA First Round Play-In.
9. Ursuline Academy (Texas) - 9-2 - A six-game winning streak came to an end last week with the Bears' district finals loss to Cy-Fair. However, Ursuline's season is still alive this week with a first-round game against St. Andrews in the TGHSLL state tournament.
10. Apex (N.C.) - 16-0 - The Cougars had a bye in the NCHSAA state championships first round and face Panther Creek on Tuesday.
Game of the Week
No. 1 Vero Beach vs. No. 4 Lake Brantley, Friday 5 p.m. (at West Orange High School, Fla.)
A berth to the FHSAA state final will be on the line with a monumental clash taking place this Friday between Vero Beach and Lake Brantley. The two powerhouses play in the FHSAA's second semifinal at West Orange High School. Earlier this year, Erin Schoeder scored seven goals to propel the Fighting Indians past Lake Brantley 17-6. The two teams have combined to win the last six on-the-field state championships.
News and Notes
Vestavia Hills won its third straight Alabama state championship with a 7-5 win over Oak Mountain on Sunday...The Texas South District championship game between St. Johns and Cy-Fair was certainly one not to miss last Tuesday night. The two teams combined for 32 goals and 57 shots in the game. Emily Newstrom and Delaney Fisher each scored four goals for district champion Cy-Fair, while Sarah Urdahl paced St. Johns with five...The 2011 SPC Championships took place in Fort Worth, Texas last weekend. St. Johns defeated Episcopal Houston 8-7 in the championship game...Both Florida and Texas will crown state champions this weekend...The state playoffs begin for Georgia and Tennessee. North Carolina's public schools held districts last week, while Kentucky has its state championship tournament beginning next week.
comments powered by Disqus