LM West Region Report: May 4, 2011
by Mark Medina | LaxMagazine.com
Emily Mincin of Issaqua (Wash.) is LM's West Region Player of the Week after playing several key roles in wins over Tacoma and Mercer Island -- including 28 draw controls in the two games combined.
Player of the Week
Emily Mincin, Issaquah (Wash.)
Mincin provided numerous roles in Issaquah to victories over Tacoma and Mercer Island. She finished with eight points, six goals and two assists. She also dominated draws, winning 28 in two games.
West Region Top 10
1. Cherry Creek (Colo.) - 14-0 - No one seems close to upsetting the Bruins. Opponents have found it easier to score on them however. Cherry Creek's defense has taken a slight dip in goals allowed per game from March (7.71) to April (9).
2. St. Ignatius Prep (Calif.) - 16-1 - The Wildcats closed out the month of April with 11 consecutive victories, two double-overtime wins and a 13.55 goals per game average.
3. Coronado (Calif.) - 15-2 - Its loss to St. Ignatius Prep featured a rare outing where the Islanders struggled in scoring. Prior to that game, the Islanders posted 16.75 goals per game in their previous four contests in April.
4. Bainbridge Island (Wash.) - 7-0 - In four of their seven games, the Spartans have scored 18 goals.
5. Foothill-Orange County (Calif.) - 14-2 - The Knights haven't lacked an offensive punch whatsoever, averaging 13.78 goals per game. But they've also shown improvement on defense. After allowing only 6.66 goals per game in March, the Knights have improved that mark to 5.6 goals per contest in April.
6. Mullen (Colo.) - 10-4 - The Mustangs have lost three of their last five games, including nailbiters against ThunderRidge (15-14) and Columbine (13-11). Mullen losing close games toward the end of the season isn't a good sign entering postseason play.
7. Carondelet (Colo.) - 14-2 - The Cougars' 11-game winning streak has featured double-digit scoring in every contest, and they have held opponents to single digits in 10 of those games.
8. Alta (Utah) - 11-0 - Despite having two weeks off before games, the Hawks still appeared as fresh in their 21-4 victory April 28 over Copper Hills. Before that stretch, Alta was averaging 18.1 goals and giving up 4.2 goals per contest.
9. Oregon City (Ore.) - 14-0 - The Pioneers appear poised to three-peat as state champions.
10. Torrey Pines (Calif.) - 11-2 - Four of the Falcons' last five victories came on two sets of back-to-back games, a sign suggesting Torrey Pines is in peak conditioning and execution.
Game of the Week
Air Academy at Cherry Creek, Friday, 5:45 p.m
The Bruins boast a pretty balanced offense and defense, but they might be in for a challenge. Air Academy has managed to score 254 goals despite having just 12 assists, revealing the difficulty in stopping the Kadets from scoring in isolation sets. The matchup also provides further intrigue considering Air Academy defeated then-three-time defending champion Cherry Creek in the 2009 state title game.
News and Notes
Holy Names recorded its first win of the season in a 14-13 girls' lacrosse victory Monday over Bellevue ... Mincin raised over $4,500 for Invisible Children at Skyline High School benefitting the plight of Ugandan child soldiers.
comments powered by Disqus