LM Mid-Atlantic Region Repor: May 11, 2011
by Chris Goldberg | LaxMagazine.com
Player of the Week
Molly Arnette, Shore Regional (N.J.)
Arnette collected four goals and two assists to spark Shore Regional to a 16-7 victory over Toms River North in the semifinals of the Shore Conference Tournament Monday. Shore Regional will face Rumson for the Shore championship on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Monmouth University.
Mid-Atlantic Region Top 10
1. McDonogh (Md.) – 16-0 – The
top-seeded Eagles began MIAA playoff action (quarterfinals) at home
Tuesday vs. St. Mary's.
2. Ridgewood (N.J.) – 13-1 - The Maroons suffered a 19-11 loss to Long Island power St. Anthony's on Saturday and bounced back Sunday by downing Mahwah (N.J.), 20-8, in the semifinals of the Bergen County Tournament. Ridgewood will face Immaculate Heart in the final on Sunday in Mahwah.
3. Mendham (N.J.) – 13-1 - The Minutemen defeated West Morris, 13-5, in the semifinals of the Morris County Tournament and play Chatham (N.J.) Wednesday in the title game.
4. Good Counsel (Md.) - 18-2 – The Falcons claimed their eighth straight DC WCAC championship Monday by routing Holy Cross (Md.), 22-3, for their 79th straight conference victory.
5. Bryn Mawr (Md.) – 15-2 – The second-seeded Mawrtians host St. Paul's today in the quarterfinals of the MIAA playoffs.
6. Moorestown (N.J.) – 13-3 – The Quakers host New Egypt (N.J.) Wednesday and play at Delran (N.J.) Thursday.
7. St. Stephen's and St. Agnes (Va.) – 24-2- The Saints close their regular season today at home against Holy Child (Md.) and then open Independent School League playoff action on Friday.
8. Westminster (Md.) – 12-0 – The Owls finished their regular season with a perfect record.
9. Downingtown East (Pa.) - 15-1 – The Cougars can clinch the Ches-Mont League championship and probably the top seed in the District 1 tournament by defeating West Chester East (Pa.) today and Unionville (Pa.) on Thursday.
10. Roland Park (Md.) – 13-5 – The third-seeded Reds host Maryvale Prep in the quarterfinals today of the MIAA playoffs.
Game of the Week
Notre Dame Prep (Md.) at John Carroll (Md.), Tuesday 4
p.m., MIAA quarterfinals
Fourth-seeded John Carroll meets fifth-seeded NDP in a rematch of a game April 21 won by John Carroll, 16-15. This is probably the most evenly matched of the quarterfinal games.
News and Notes
Brigid Smith and Kelly Lechner shared the Tournament MVP award as Good Counsel rolled to three easy victories and claimed its eighth straight DC WCAC championship. The Falcons handled Bishop McNamara, 22-2; Bishop O'Connell, 21-2; and then Holy Cross, 22-3, for the crown. Smith had seven goals in the title game and Lechner added six... North Penn (Pa.) toppled Hatboro-Horsham (Pa.), 11-9, to clinch the Suburban One Continental Conference championship as part of the "Shooting for the Cure" benefit for the Mary T. Sachs Breast Center. Brenda McDermott had four goals, one assist and six draw controls to lead North Penn... Junior Aly Messinger had five goals and three assists as top-seeded Mendham topped fifth-seeded West Morris, 13-5, in the semifinals of the Morris County Tournament. Mendham will meet Chatham Wednesday night in Roxbury for the title. Maggie Sinzer added three goals and Abby Witczak made seven saves for Mendham in goal.
comments powered by Disqus