LM Midwest Region Report: May 11, 2011
by Matt Forman | LaxMagazine.com
Loyola (Md.)-bound Molly Hulseman scored the game-winning goal in top-ranked Loyola's (Ill.) 12-11 victory over second-ranked New Trier (Ill.). She's on the cusp of 150 goals in her career.
© Anne Ryan
Player of the Week
Molly Hulseman, Loyola Academy, Ill.
The senior attacker and returning All-American may have been held scoreless against Lake Forest (Ill.) last Monday, but Hulseman couldn't be kept down against New Trier in arguably the Ramblers' most important game of the year. The Loyola (Md.) commit scored the game-winning goal against the Trevians, breaking an 11-11 tie with less than two minutes remaining. With one regular season game remaining on Loyola Academy's schedule and postseason play around the corner, Hulseman should surpass the 150-goal plateau for her career.
Midwest Region Top 10
1. Loyola Academy (Ill.) – (15-2) – Loyola Academy graduated all of its starting defense and its goalie from a year ago, but the young defenders stepped up down the stretch against New Trier, as the Ramblers were able to withstand a late rally and pull out the 12-11 win.
2. New Trier (Ill.) – (15-2) – The Trevians will get a chance to avenge their loss to Loyola Academy later in the Illinois state tournament; New Trier topped Glenbrook North (Ill.), 18-1, in its only other game last week.
3. Medina (Ohio) – (10-2) – The Queen Bees lost a pair of games two weeks ago, but they've strung together five W's since, including an overtime defeat of Okemos (Mich.), 10-9.
4. Hudson (Ohio) – (10-1) – The early-season loss to Medina is in the rear-view mirror, and the Explorers continue to put together businesslike wins, including two last week.
5. Eden Prairie (Minn.) – (7-0) – Another slow week up north in Minnesota, so the Eagles only have one win to speak of from last week, but it was an impressive 22-8 defeat of Wayzata (Minn.).
6. Blake School (Minn.) – (5-0) – Blake has played five games in the first month of its season, but the Bears will have five in the next 10 days, which will be capped off by the much-awaited contest with Eden Prairie.
7. Cleveland Heights (Ohio) – (8-6) – Since suffering back-to-back losses to Hudson (Ohio) and New Trier (Ill.), the Tigers have won their last three.
8. Okemos (Mich.) – (12-1) – Okemos' 62-game winning streak came to a halt against Medina (Ohio), but you've got to give coach Bill Prahler credit for trying to beef up the Chieftains' schedule.
9. New Albany (Ohio) – (11-1) – The Eagles' only game of the week was a 17-11 loss to Cleveland Heights (Ohio), but New Albany is looking forward to challenging Medina on Saturday.
10. Upper Arlington (Ohio) – (11-4) – The regular season is in the books for UA, which will head into the state tournament coming off an 11-6 win over Worthington Kilbourne (Ohio).
Midwest Region Game of the Week
No. 3 Medina (Ohio) at No. 7 Cleveland Heights (Ohio)
– Thursday, 6:30 p.m.
Medina, the reigning Ohio Division-I state champions, have had one of the region's top defensive units all year, allowing an average of eight goals per game. The Battling Bees haven't let an opponent reach double-digits this month, and their streak will be put to the test against Cleveland Heights, which has arguably the state's top offense. The Tigers are putting up nearly 15 goals per game behind attackers Meg Lentz, Kelly Jones and Olivia Lash.
News and Notes
Cleveland Heights' record took a hit after the Tigers were forced to forfeit three mid-April games because of confusion over using an ineligible player, all of which were originally victories. ... Loyola Academy and New Trier lead the region with 15 wins, but both Rockford (Mich.) and Glenbard West (Ill.) have a Midwest-second-best 14 victories, and both have lost only one game. The Rams fell to Detroit Catholic Central (Mich.), while the Hilltoppers came up short against Oak Park-River Forest (Ill.).
comments powered by Disqus