LM South Region Report: May 11, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
No. 1 Vero Beach's sixth straight state championship extended the longest active winning streak in the nation to 60 games.
© Scott McCall
Player of the Week
Sarah Urdahl, St. John's (Texas)
With St. John's up by one with 22 seconds to go, Urdahl won a pivotal draw control that allowed the Mavericks to run out the clock in the state finals versus Cy-Fair. Urdahl, who did not have a sub throughout the entire state championship game, won nine draws and scored two goals against the Iron Maidens. She also had four goals in the first round game versus Bowie, and six draws and two goals against Hockaday in the semifinals.
South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) - 22-0 - A legacy continued as the Fighting Indians captured their sixth on-field state championship on Saturday. Vero Beach defeated Lake Brantley in the FHSAA semifinals and then Winter Springs in the finals.
2. Milton (Ga.) - 17-1-1 - Two wins in the first round of the GHSA playoffs sent the Eagles into Tuesday's semifinals against Walton.
3. Cy-Fair (Texas) - 6-2 - The Iron Maidens began the TGHSLL state championships with a 19-10 win over Ursuline in the semifinals, but fell 17-15 to St. John's in the title game.
4. Lake Brantley (Fla.) - 18-3 - The season ended for the Patriots with a 16-4 loss to Vero Beach in the FHSAA semifinals.
5. Westminster (Ga.) - 19-1 - The Wildcats began their GHSA A-AAAA title defense with wins over Lovett and Blessed Trinity in the first two rounds. Westminster faces McIntosh in Wednesday's semifinals.
6. Winter Springs (Fla.) - 19-5 - A 19-9 FHSAA semifinal victory versus Pine Crest pushed the Bears' winning-streak to 12 games, but Winter Springs fell to Vero Beach in the finals to close out the season.
7. St. John's (Texas) - 18-8 - A strong finish to the season, the Mavericks successfully defended their TGHSLL state title on Sunday. Going 3-0 in the TGHSLL state playoffs last week, St. John's defeated Bowie, then upset Hockaday in the semifinals and stunned Cy-Fair in the finals.
8. Hockaday School (Texas) - 17-5 - The Daisies saw their season end with a 12-9 loss to eventual state champion St. John's in the TGHSLL semifinals.
9. Apex (N.C.) - 18-0 - After a first-round bye, Apex won its district and sectional rounds of the NCHSAA playoffs en route to advancing to face Cardinal Gibbons the regional round.
10. Ursuline Academy (Texas) - 10-4 - The Bears' season ended with a 19-10 loss to Cy-Fair in the TGHSLL semifinals.
Game of the Week
Westminster vs. McIntosh, Wednesday 5 p.m.
Two of Georgia’s top A-AAAA teams clash on Wednesday night with a berth to the GHSA A-AAAA state championship on the line. It will be the first meeting between the two teams this year. Westminster has only suffered two losses in the last two seasons - both to AAAAA’s Milton. McIntosh is unbeaten so far this season, winning 15 games and tying one. The winner of Wednesday night’s game faces the winner of the Chattahoochee-Holy Innocents semifinal in the state championship on Saturday.
News and Notes
Vero Beach has the nation's longest current winning-streak with 60 games. Previous leader Okemos saw its 63-game winning streak end last Friday... Georgia and North Carolina will each crown state champions this weekend, while Kentucky's state playoffs get underway on Thursday...St. Agnes Academy took the TGHSLL Division II title on Sunday with a 23-11 win over Southlake Carroll...Three Vero Beach players had at least four goals in the state championship game against Winter Springs. Samantha MacCurdy had a game-high six goals, while McKenzie Smith and Courtney Swan recorded five and four goals, respectively.
comments powered by Disqus