LM West Region Report: May 11, 2011
by Mark Medina | LaxMagazine.com
Player of the Week
Lauren Maack, Coronado (Calif.)
Maack led the Islanders in their 14-3 victory Saturday over Santa Fe Christian in a CIF-San Diego Section game with three goals, two assists and five ground balls.
West Region Top 10
1. Cherry Creek (Colo.) - 14-1 - No one seems close to upsetting the Bruins. Opponents have found it easier to score on them however. Cherry Creek's defense has taken a slight dip in goals allowed per game from March (7.71) to April (9). The top-seeded Bruins have plenty of time to prepare for their opponent Saturday in the second round of the state playoffs. They face the winner between Golden and Ralston Valley, which square off in a first-round matchup on Wednesday.
2. St. Ignatius Prep (Calif.) - 17-1 - The Wildcats closed out the month of April with 11 consecutive victories, two double-overtime wins and a 13.55 goals per game average.
3. Coronado (Calif.) - 16-1 - Although they missed nine players because of testing, injuries and family issues, the Islanders put together a dominating 14-3 victory Saturday over Santa Fe Christian in a CIF-San Diego Section game with ease. Coronado set the tone early, opening the game with eight unanswered goals.
4. Bainbridge Island (Wash.) - 11-0 - The Spartans' first-round matchup Thursday against Seattle Prep coincides with Senior Night, celebrating an eight-member class that's led by Jaclyn Biggers (47 goals, eight assists).
5. Carondelet (Calif.) - 16-2 - The Cougars lost an eight-member senior class that led the team last season to the North Coast Section semifinals, but Carondelet simply reloaded. Sophomore attacker Erin Jeffery – daughter of coach Rick Jeffery – leads the team in goals (75) and assists (28), a good sign for a team looking to reach the championship game after falling short the past two seasons.
6. Kent Denver (Colo.) - 10-4 - The Sun Devils' current four-game winning streak entails a 18.5 points per game average.
7. Alta (Utah) - 13-0 - The Hawks scored at least 20 goals in five of their 13 games and held opponents to five goals or fewer in nine of them.
8. Oregon City (Ore.) - 14-0 - Tessa Keuler, Shelley Bohrer and Holly Cisneros are in the Oregon Girls Lacrosse Association's top-25 list in scoring by combining for 99 goals and 57 assists.
9. Torrey Pines (Calif.) - 13-2 - The Falcons' nine-game winning streak featured signature in-state victories against Los Alamitos and La Costa Canyon.
10. Los Alamitos (Calif.) - 15-2 - The Griffins' defensive adjustments proved instrumental in their 19-13 semifinal victory over Beckman Saturday in the Southern Section Orange County Division 1 semifinal. After the third-seeded Patriots scored three unanswered goals in the first five minutes, the second-seeded Griffins held them in the second quarter to a nine-minute scoreless stretch. The effort also included goalie Emily Alpaugh making a game-high 13 saves.
Game of the Week
No. 10 Los Alamitos (Calif.) vs. Santa Margarita at Mission Viejo High, Wednesday
The Griffins will appear in their third consecutive final, but under different leadership. Los Alamitos coach Liz Connelly was hired in February and has managed to minimize any transition period within the program. Meanwhile, Santa Margarita advanced past the opening rounds in its program's history with a 12-10 upset over top-seeded Foothill.
comments powered by Disqus