LM South Region Report: May 18, 2011
by Colleen O'Connell | LaxMagazine.com
Apex players celebrate after a 24-3 victory over Meyers Park for their first sanctioned North Carolina state title.
Player of the Week
Kelley Guin McArtor - Hutchison (Tenn.)
A pair of hat tricks by McArtor in both the semifinals and the finals gave the Hutchison girls' lacrosse team its second TGLA state championship. McArtor's three goals all came in the first half in the 17-7 semifinal win against Franklin. She also added four assists in that game. In the finals against Harpeth Hall, McArtor scored the game-winner with 5:46 to go, which was her third of the game and broke a 7-7 tie.
South Region Top 10
1. Vero Beach (Fla.) - 22-0 - A legacy continues as the Fighting Indians will take the nation's longest current winning streak into the offseason.
2. Milton (Ga.) - 19-1-1 - Outscoring opponents 47-13 in the final two rounds of the GHSA AAAAA playoffs lifted the Eagles to their sixth state title.
3. Cy-Fair (Texas) - 16-2 - A 10-game winning streak was halted in the TGHSLL finals, where the Iron Maidens were stunned 11-10 by St. John's.
4. Lake Brantley (Fla.) - 18-3 - The Patriots' season ended with a FHSAA semifinal loss to Vero Beach.
5. Westminster (Ga.) - 19-1 - A three-goal victory against McIntosh in the semifinals sent Westminster into the GHSA A-AAAA state finals, where the Eagles downed Holy Innocents 19-6.
6. Winter Springs (Fla.) - 19-5 - The Bears concluded the season with a loss to Vero Beach in the FHSAA state championships.
7. St. John's (Texas) - 18-8 - The Mavericks saved the best for last when they upended Cy-Fair for the TGHSLL state championship, capturing their second-straight TGHSLL title.
8. Hockaday School (Texas) - 17-5 - A three-goal semifinal loss to eventual TGHSLL state champion St. John's ended the Daisies' season.
9. Apex (N.C.) - 20-0 - An undefeated season resulted in the Cougars' first state title since the NCHSAA sanctioned lacrosse and their fourth overall.
10. Ursuline Academy (Texas) - 10-4 - The Bears closed out the 2011 season with a loss to Cy-Fair in the TGHSLL semifinals.
With the South Region wrapping up games, US Lacrosse announced the Group 1 High School All-Americans. This year's 18 Regional All-Americans and 27 Honorable Mention Regional All-Americans were selected from the Central Texas, Greater Houston, Gulf Coast (Fla.), North Carolina, North Texas, Orlando and South Florida US Lacrosse chapters... Hutchison School captured its second Tennessee Girls Lacrosse Association state title with an 8-7 win over Harpeth Hall... State champions for Kentucky and the NCISAA will also be determined this week... For Milton, reaching the 20-plus goal plateau was no change from the Eagles' last six games, of which they scored at least 22 goals in each... Apex's perfect season is one among 42 schools nationwide that are currently undefeated. Three other South Region schools finished their seasons perfect -- Vero Beach, Stoneman Douglas (Fla.) and Hutchison.
Note: This is the final South Region report of the 2011 season. Join US Lacrosse, if you're not among the nearly 350,000 members already, in time to receive the August issue Lacrosse Magazine, which will contain season-end national and regional rankings and more.
comments powered by Disqus