LM Mid-Atlantic Region Report: May 25, 2011
by Chris Goldberg | LaxMagazine.com
Marriotts Ridge players celebrate their 8-4 win over Century in the Maryland Class 3A/2A state championship game.
Player of the Week
Alanna Diffendal, Marriotts Ridge (Md.)
Diffendal had two goals and two assists to help Marriotts Ridge defeat Fallston, 8-7, in the 3A-2A Maryland state semifinals. Marriots Ridge (17-1) then stunned Century 8-4 on Tuesday in its first state championship game ever -- in just its fifth varsity season
LM Mid-Atlantic Region Top 10
1. McDonogh (Md.) – 19-0 – The Eagles won their third straight Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference championship and have won 51 straight games.
2. Ridgewood (N.J.) – 17-1 - The Maroons handled Westfield, 23-8, in the quarterfinals of the NJSIAA Group 4 tournament. They played West Windsor-PB South in the semifinal on Tuesday.
3. Good Counsel (Md.) - 19-2 – The Falcons claimed their eighth straight DC WCAC championship.
4. Mendham (N.J.) – 16-2 - The Minutemen thrashed Sparta, 16-1, in the quarterfinals of the Group III NJSIAA tournament and playedWest Windsor-PB North on Tuesday in the semifinals.
5. Roland Park (Md.) – 15-6 – The Reds came from the fifth seed to reach the finals of the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference championship tourney, where they fell to No. 1 McDonogh, 18-17.
6. Moorestown (N.J.) – 18-3 – The Quakers walloped Wall Township, 20-1, in the quarterfinals of the NJSIAA Group III tournament. They played Seneca on Tuesday in the semifinals.
7. St. Stephen's and St. Agnes (Va.) – 31-2- The Saints won their fifth straight Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association Tournament championship by coasting past Collegiate, 18-2, as Michele Phillips had five goals and Carly Reed added four. The Saints won their final three state tourney games by a combined score of 55-10.
8. Westminster (Md.) – 16-0 –The Owls advanced to the finals of the Maryland state championship by downing C.M. Wright, 14-10. They meet Severna Park for the title Wednesday at UMBC at 8 p.m.
9. Bryn Mawr (Md.) – 16-3 – The second-seeded Mawrtians reached the semifinal of the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference tournament.
10. Downingtown East (Pa.) - 20-1 – The top-seeded Cougars toppled Upper Dublin, 12-6, in the quarterfinals of the District 1 tourney and played fifth-seeded Springfield-Delco on Tuesday in the semifinals.
Game of the Week
No. 8 Westminster (Md.) vs. Severna Park (Md.),
Wednesday, 8 p.m. at UMBC
Undefeated Westminster searches for its first state championship against the perennial power Falcons, who defeated Westminster, 7-5, in the 2009 finals for their ninth state crown. Westminster is led by attack Alyssa Semones, who has 72 goals and 50 assists.
News and Notes
Winters Mill (Md.) defeated Queen Anne's, 16-8, in the 2A-1A Maryland state semifinals as Erin McMunn and Mandy Buell each scored four goals. Queen Anne's entered play undefeated with just a tie. Winters Mill, the defending state champion, dominated the second half, 8-3, and will Loch Raven in the state finals Wednesday at 4 p.m. at UMBC...Episcopal Academy (Pa.) got five goals from Blake McHugh and three each from Taylor Trimble and MC Curren to defeat Penn Charter, 14-6, to claim the Pennsylvania Independent School championship. Episcopal Academy also clinched its seventh straight Inter-Ac League title by edging Notre Dame, 16-15, as McHugh had four goals and two assists and Trimble added three goals and two assists.
comments powered by Disqus