LM Northeast Region Report: June 1, 2011
by Joe Lombardi | LaxMagazine.com
West Genesee remained unbeaten and advanced to the New York Class A Section 3 championship game behind Emily Tripodi's two goals and nine assists in an 18-10 win over Fayetteville-Manlius.
© Greg Wall
Player of the Week
Emily Tripodi, West Genesee, N.Y.
Tripodi had two goals and nine assists in the Wildcats' 18-10 win over Fayetteville-Manlius in the Section 3 Class A semifinals. She then added six assists Tuesday in the Section 3 championship game, an 11-10 win over Baldwinsville.
Northeast Region Top 10
1. Garden City (N.Y.) – 17-0 – The top-seeded Trojans earned a spot in this week's Section 8 Class B championship game against rival Manhasset.
2. Farmingdale (N.Y.) – 16-1 – The Dalers, seeded No. 1, will play for the Section 8 Class A championship this week against No. 2-seeded Massapequa.
3. West Genesee (N.Y.) – 18-0 – An 18-10 win over Fayetteville-Manlius lifted the Wildcats into this week's Section 3 Class A title game against Baldwinsville (N.Y.), which they won 11-10.
4. St. Anthony's (N.Y.) – 16-2 – The top-seeded Friars won their fourth straight CHSAA championship by rolling to a 20-5 win over No. 2 Sacred Heart (N.Y.).
5. Northport (N.Y.) – 16-2 – The top-seeded Tigers take on No. 2 Bay Shore later this week in the Suffolk County Class A championship game.
6. Westwood (Mass.) – 19-0-1 – The Wildcats are unbeaten in 56 of their last 57, with the lone loss a 12-8 setback to Framingham (Mass.) in last year's state title game.
7. Hauppauge (N.Y.) – 18-0 – The Eagles face No. 6 Shoreham Wading River later this week in the Suffolk Class B title game.
8. Manhasset (N.Y.) – 14-3 – Kerri Fleishhacker had four goals and had one assist in a 11-7 win against Wantagh in the Nassau County Class B semifinals.
9. Wilton (Conn.) – 15-1 – Maddie Kratz made 15 saves in a 15-12 triumph over Darien in the Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference championship game.
10. Londonderry (N.H.) – 17-1 – The Lancers fell for the first time since losing to Framingham (Mass.) in the third game of the 2009 season, dropping a 12-9 decision to Andover (Mass.) that snapped their streak of 51 straight victories.
Game of the Week
Ridgefield (Conn.) at Greenwich (Conn.) - Thursday, 5
This is a CIAC Division L state tournament opening round game. Ridgefield (11-6) is the No. 10 seed. Greenwich (11-5) is seeded sixth. Ridgefield's defense, led by goalie Maggie Philbin, as well as Missy Hutching, Morgan Hyland, Hannah Dighton and Stephanie Kisciras will look to contain a Cardinals team that has 20 returnees from last year's state finalist team.
News and Notes
Casey Pearsall had four goals and two assists as third-seeded Wilton (Conn.) won their second straight Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference championship with a 15-12 win over Darien (Conn.). ... Madison Hughes had five goals for Martha's Vineyard (Mass.) in a 20-8 win over Abington (Mass.) in a MIAA first-round playoff game. ... Debbie Ly had the winning goal with two minutes remaining to lift Malden (Mass.) to a 17-16 win over Wakefield (Mass.). ... Led by the University of North Carolina-bound twin sister combo of Lindsay Scott (midfield) and Sarah Scott (midfield), No. 2-seeded Yorktown (N.Y.) dealt top-seeded Fox Lane (N.Y.) its first loss of the season, beating the Foxes 16-15 in the Section 1 Class B title game. ... Lauren Cook had four goals and three assists as Pearl River (N.Y.) beat Pleasantville (N.Y.) to win the Section 1 Class C crown. ... Emma Bozek had five goals as Lakeland/Panas (N.Y.) got by Suffern (N.Y.) 14-12 to take the Section 1 Class A championship.
comments powered by Disqus